Our School Dog – Blu
At St Clare’s, we understand the positive impact the human-dog bond can have, making each day happier and more complete and our school dog, Blu, does just that! Blu is a Labradoodle which are known for their non-allergic qualities. This Breed are kind and affectionate and intelligent with plenty of energy and a playful nature, making them an ideal family dog. Their intelligence makes them quick learners, and their affable nature makes them suitable as therapy and assistance dogs.
There are many benefits to having a school dog, including:
- a calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties
- improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- motivating pupils to think and to learn, as most children have a high level of natural interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
- helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children, and educational improvements with low achievers
- helping children build confidence in reading.
Blu’s main place of residence is the year 5 classroom where he is always in the care of a responsible adult. He is never allowed to freely roam the school premises unsupervised. Children are not left with the dog unsupervised. Blu is trained not to jump up or bite the children. Children, in small groups, may walk the school dog at playtimes and at lunch, whilst being supervised by a member of staff.
Blu is a much-loved part of our St Clare’s family!